Please pardon our classic look. We look forward to revealing this section's new look in July.

Graduate Student Forms

Thesis, Project, and Dissertation


Other Forms

Request for Appointment or Reconstitution of PhD Guidance Committee

Within six (6) months of passing the PhD qualifying examination(s), you and your dissertation adviser must form or appoint a dissertation guidance committee. Use this form to identify the members of the committee. In addition, two (2) weeks prior to defending the final PhD dissertation, you will be required to reconstitute the guidance committee. Submitt this form to Prof. Jose Ulerio in RH412A.

Request to Schedule Dissertation Defense for the PhD Degree

Use this form to schedule your final PhD dissertation defense. Submit it to Prof. Jose Ulerio in RH412A no later than two (2) weeks prior to the scheduled date. Make sure to include an elecrtronic copy of your abstract.

MS Conferral Request for PhD Students

Oftentimes, PhD students will coincidentally meet the requirements for the MS degree in the same field as their PhD. In such cases, PhD students may be awarded an MS degree, while continuing to work towards their PhD. For PhD students who want to receive an MS degree, discuss with your adviser the requirements of the corresponding MS degree, then complete this form and submit to the Office of Graduate Academics.

Drop/Add a Course

Use this form only in exceptional cases in which registration on Albert during the add/drop period is not possible due to some circumstance other than a hold on the student's Albert account. The form cannot be used to add courses after the add/drop period if the course is a regular, full-semester course. Do not use this form to withdraw from all courses in a semester (term withdraw) or to request a Leave of Absence. You may request a term withdrawal or a Leave of Absence online via Albert.

Request a Credit Limit Override

You may register for up to 11 credits per semester on Albert without any special permission. If on academic probation, you may register for no more than 9 credits. If you wish to take more than 11 credits in a given semester, approval is required from your academic adviser. You and your adviser will need to complete the Request for Credit Limit Override form and submit it to the Office of Graduate Academics for final approval. If approved, your Albert account will be updated to allow registration for the number of approved credits.

Request to Change Major

Use this form to switch from one graduate program to another after at least one semester of study. Approval is required from your current department, the department of your new intended major, and the Office of Graduate Academics. Please note that this form cannot be used to change degree level (for example, from an MS degree to a PhD degree).  

Request an Extension of Time to Complete a Degree

The program for a graduate certificate must be completed within 3 years. The MS degree programs must be completed within 5 years. The PhD program must be completed in 6 years for full-time students and 12 years for part-time students from the time of admission for graduate work at the School of Engineering. These time limits include approved leaves of absence. You may use this form to request an extension exceeding these time limits. For more information on time extensions see the Tandon School of Engineering Bulletin.

Acknowledgment of Academic Probation

Students are placed on Academic Probation when their cumulative GPA drops below 3.0. All students on academic probation are required to meet with their academic adviser to discuss a plan to improve their academic progress and to obtain approval for the courses they will be taking in the coming semester. You must then complete the Acknowledgment of Academic Probation form with your adviser and submit it to the Office of Graduate Academics.

The Academic Probation Hold, YA0, is placed on Albert for all students on academic probation, and prevents students from adding or dropping courses. Once the Acknowledgment of Academic Probation form is submitted, the YA0 hold is replaced with either a YA1 hold, for students on academic probation for the first time, or a YA2 hold, for students on academic probation for the second and final time. The YA1 hold will allow unrestricted registration until the end of the add/drop period. The YA2 hold will prevent registration and course adjustments beginning on a date determined by Graduate Academics, normally prior to the first day of the semester. This restriction is due to the fact that students on final academic probation are expected to finalize their academic schedules prior to the start of the term so that they are prepared to begin attending classes immediately. For tracking purposes, the YA1 and YA2 holds remain on your account indefinitely. However, the YA1 hold has no impact on registration, and the YA2 hold will expire at such time a final probation student has raised their cumulative GPA to 3.0 or higher.  

Acknowledgment of Disqualification and Successful Appeal

You are disqualified if your cumulative GPA is below 3.0 for more than two semesters (semesters do not have to be sequential). If you have been disqualified, you may appeal to the Graduate Appeals Committee for one final semester of study. If the Committee approves, then you must meet with your academic adviser and complete the Acknowledgment of Disqualification and Successful Appeal form. After both you and your adviser have signed the form, submit the form to the Office of Graduate Academics.

A YA3 hold will be placed on Albert for students who have been granted an extra semester. This hold blocks all registration activity on a date to be determined by Graduate Academics, normally before the start of the new semester. You must make all registration changes before the YA3 hold takes effect. 

Appeal of Academic Disqualification Form

This form is to be used by graduate (MS and PhD) students who wish to appeal their disqualification from the University.  Students must submit this form to the Office of Graduate Academics.